Our client is a fast-growing cloud/SaaS software platform that helps businesses grow. As more companies tap into e-commerce growth, expand omnichannel and international distribution, and upgrade old on-premise software applications to new cloud/SaaS systems, demand for our clients’ cloud-based software platform is accelerating. They are seeking a Database Administrator to help capitalize on growth opportunities by managing and improving our SaaS operations.
The ideal candidate will have strong Microsoft SQL Server database operations experience in a production environment, including knowledge and experience with database monitoring, tuning, application configurations, failover/redundancy, and support. You will work side-by-side with the product team, helping to ensure stable, consistent, and reliable production operations while working on improvements that expand customer service levels. You will also take on key responsibilities in managing, optimizing, and improving our Amazon Web Services deployment to help deliver excellent customer support, continuous improvements, and fast feature updates.
If you excel in database administration and are interested in growing your cloud / SaaS skills and experiences, this is the opportunity to leverage your skills, expand your horizons, do more, learn more, and have a bigger impact.
- Database Administration: Maintain high service levels for production SQL database operations for cloud-based / SaaS software solutions, including monitoring, support, remediation.
- Disaster Recovery: Manage, improve, and support complete disaster recovery plans including technologies such as mirroring, multiple availability zones, log management, etc...
- Database Optimization: Regularly analyze database performance, reviewing indexes, deadlocks, query performance, table/data structure, and more to make recommendations and perform changes that improve overall throughput and end-user experience.
- Application Optimization: Work closely with the product team on full Microsoft appstack review and recommendations to improve throughput and user experience. Make recommendations on windows / sql system configuration, database design and structure, and implement recommendations as part of regular upgrades to the SaaS environment.
- User Experience: Leverage tools in the Microsoft technology stack as well as with services such as New Relic to monitor end-user and system-level apdex. Develop and improve procedures for fast response to production issues as well as proactive avoidance of issues before they happen.
- AWS Systems: Take a leading role in Amazon Web Services operations, including resource management, configuration and tuning, server upgrades/reconfiguration/patches, and overall complete lifecycle management of operations across multiple availability zones.
Skills and Tools:
- Microsoft SQL Server: Manage SQL Server operating in the Amazon Web Services environment with hundreds of databases as part of a full multi-tenant software solution.
- Microsoft Windows Servers: Solid understanding of Microsoft Windows application environments, including issues around configuration, performance, tuning, upgrades.
- Queries, Scripts, System Management: Develop, manage, and extend system utilities to automate many day to day operating tasks including data scrubbing, reindexing, system operation reports, error audits, and key performance indicators.
- Amazon Web Services: Work closely with the product team around all aspects of Amazon Web Services infrastructures including EC2, VPC, Cloud Watch, auto scaling, images, and many other techniques and tools required for production operations.
- New Relic: Use, manage, and improve monitoring capabilities leveraging tools such as New Relic to monitor system health, measure throughput and performance, proactively warn of issues via synthetic transactions, and otherwise improve user experience.
- Visual Studio Teams: Work closely with the product team on an agile build, test, deploy pipeline to create and deploy new features, use automated regression testing, etc...
Knowledge and Experience:
- Self-starter with the drive and passion to think critically, measure, execute quickly
- Multi-tasker with the ability to juggle many competing priorities and projects
- Proven technical skills with experience managing production environments
- Cloud experience a + but not mandatory – must have interest in learning
- Tools-oriented continuous learner, willing and able to leverage the latest marketing tools
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience, bachelors degree or equivalent education